Saturday, October 23, 2004

put your obsessions to work

Well, I'm sure everybody has noticed that I'm a tad bit obsessed with drag kings lately. So what I've decided to do is this: make a zine about it, using texts, personal stuff, and hopefully some interviews or written statements from actual drag kings. I was going to make my next one about hair, both having short hair and not shaving, but it occured to me today that I could, in fact, cover multiple topics if I so desired, and also that these things are kind of related, a little bit. Being hairy places you outside of conventional femininity, and dragging certainly does the same thing, if in a pretty drastically different way. That's kind of tenuous perhaps, but it works for me.
Here's a performers'-eye description of a performance at the first IDKE that I read today:
"Jay wrote text that reflected a theatrical version of his experience as a transgendered/transsexual man. Sarah wrote text that represented her history of gender ambiguity and confusion. We then performed each other's texts, and eventually merged the two stories into Act I, scene v from Shakespeare's Twelfth Night."
Hardcore.

In other news, I visited a feminist bookstore in Chicago called Women and Children First today. I had heard that it was something like the biggest feminist bookstore in the country, but it seemed roughly comparable to a more-poorly-organized Antigone's to me. At any rate, I had a hard time finding anything. But I got some books, which always makes me happy, and it seemed like a nice place. And it was good to get out and just walk around, too. I know that cool places exist here, it's just hard to know where to find them. I should try to do more exploring before it gets cold.
In a moment of natural irony, it apparently snowed in Flagstaff sometime in the past few days, but it was about 70 here today, sunny and warm enough to go out in just a t-shirt.

No comments: