Monday, November 14, 2005

here i am again

I can't sleep. Damn it. So here's a poem. Or part of a poem, at any rate.

from It's the Poverty, by Cherrie Moraga

I say
my typewriter sticks in the wet.
I have been using the same ribbon
over and over and over again.
Yes, we both agree I could use
a new ribbon. But it's the poverty
the poverty of my imagination, we agree.
I lack imagination, you say.

No. I lack language.
The language to clarify
my resistance to the literate.
Words are a war to me.
They threaten my family.

To gain the word to describe the loss,
I risk losing everything.
I may create a monster,
the word's length and body
swelling up colorful and thrilling
looming over my mother, characterized.
Her voice in the distance
unintelligible illiterate.

These are the monster's words.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm...
This may help me finally read Loving in the War Years by her.

a said...

You should! My copy is out right now, or I'd give it to you right away. It's pretty awesome. Oh, now I need to read that again...

Anonymous said...

Never too much of a good thing?