Wednesday, October 27, 2004

i miss SAS

I went to an editing for the campus feminist magazine last night. It was kind of weird for me; practically everybody else was a freshman, and they were all super hyped up and really trendily dressed and giggly and squealy. Not that there is necessarily anything particularly wrong with any of those things, and they all seemed nice enough, but it just kind of overwhelmed me because it wasn't what I was expecting. I don't know what I did think it would be like, maybe just a little less talk of funny puns for various sections of the magazine and a maybe a little more talk of things beyond the scope of the articles at hand? I think that is what I was looking for--debate, discussion, something like that--which is silly because all we were really there for was to edit other people's stuff. So anyway, I edited articles on the lack of promotion of female indie musicians (this girl was way pissed at Liz Phair for selling out to make money), the power and clout wielded by First Ladies, and how much one girl admired and adored the lead character from Kill Bill. Not that these are all bad topics (although I was not a fan of the First Lady article so much; too much emphasis on facts and not enough emphasis on alternative ways of being powerful other than just marrying somebody), and not that mine was much better (an article/personal narrative on the societal pervasiveness of shaving), but a lot of it just seemed kind of superficial. Nothing new, or particularly interesting and thought-provoking, nothing that smacked of revolution, just the facts ma'am. I don't think I'll be doing this again. I don't like magazine writing anyway, it's too formal for me. It makes me nervous :-)
Anyway, the low point of the evening was when we tried to relocate to a locally-owned coffeeshop and it was full. One girl turned and said, "So, Starbucks then? Unless anybody has something against corporations, or something?" (There was at least one, if not more, other locally owned places fairly nearby.) I never felt so far from SAS.

No comments: