Wednesday, February 08, 2006

inarticulation

I had some sort of interesting internal connection between my own thoughts and my "Sex and Real Estate" book recently, but I've been trying to remember and articulate it here for the past two days and I haven't been able to do it. It was something about the cultural catchet of owning a house, and also about how we base our ideas of authenticity on material objects (especially name-brand objects), on the image of authenticity rather than on actual authenticity. All of this is interesting, but I can't remember how exactly I related it to myself. I think it was something along these lines: I was thinking recently about how maybe someday I would like to live in a house I owned, and now I get to think about how much of that thought is the desire to not move around all the time and be able to decorate however I wanted to and how much of it is related to the cultural symbol of "a place of my own to show how cool and rich I am" or whatever. But, that said, the book is pretty interesting. Not as mind-blowing as I thought it would be perhaps, but definitely I have a lot more interesting thoughts about living spaces. The best part (so far, anyway, and I'm almost done) has been the chapter on the Trophy House. My favorite quote, by psychiatrist Robert J. Stoller: "A fetish is a story masquerading as an object."

No comments: