Friday, February 03, 2006

future shock

I've been thinking a lot about what I might do if this whole music thing doesn't work out, which is entirely possible. Lately, I've been leaning towards going to school and getting another degree (yes, another one) in library science. There are a number of reasons why this appeals to me: it seems like it would be academically challenging, I love libraries and books, and I think librarians are really crucial to the preservation of things that represent all viewpoints, not just that of the dominant culture. I read someone's master's thesis last year that was all about zines, and there was a whole section about how zines should be being archived to preserve the culture they represent. I guess at Bowling Green there's a popular library that does things like that. There was a lot about the laws of the American Library Association, and they were just so damn inspiring. It really seems to be, in theory anyway, a profession that is truly dedicated to the preservation and encouragement of knowledge.
I am not sure whether this possibility is actual or fantastical. I mean, getting a whole other degree, changing my whole life around, and possibly finding out that it's no better suited for me than music is a really scary thought to me. And considering that this wasn't something I ever considered before I came here means that I would potentially have to consider these two years the most stressful and expensive prompting in the world.

No comments: