Sunday, November 21, 2004

the long weekend

Well, this weekend seemed to stretch on f o r e v e r. I did volunteer training at the LGBT community center from 9:30-3:30 yesterday, then went to move boxes and boxes and boxes of books to help clean up the booksale. Then back at the center at 9:30 this morning, left at 2 to go play a quintet concert in downtown Chicago, home for about 20 minutes, then back to school for a rehearsal for a completely different quintet. It was really really cool doing the volunteer training and helping out at the booksale, but damn I'm tired now. I think I might work on the phone helpline for the center, which is a scary but potentially really good thing for me to do.
It was funny, because I think gay people have kind of a mini-stereotype of being vegetarian, but I was the only person who was vegetarian (much less vegan!) at any of my volunteer activities. I ended up eating pizza twice yesterday because I didn't want to make waves. It made me feel gross, all that cheese after so long without. I also drank lots of soda. It made me think about how other people eat and drink every day. I felt so ragingly unhealthy, just from that one day, but that's what most people live like all the time. Funny to think I was just like that for so long and now it seems so totally undoable to me.

No comments: