Sunday, November 07, 2004

in other news...

The chicago transit authority is trying to get funding from the general assembly here, and if they don't then there will be no el service to Evanston after 10 pm! In January! This is hardcore bad for me, as I didn't bring my car here and am entirely at the whim of the public transportation gods. So I'm trying to decide whether I should only buy a one-way ticket home for thanksgiving and drive back here, or what. I am finally making it without a car, I don't want to suddenly go back to just driving everywhere, and it'll probably be too cold soon to walk very far. Hopefully they'll get the funding... At least I technically have the option of having a car, what about all the people who don't?
There are a lot of weird signs here, just like any place. There is a hardware store that I saw the other day called the Crafty Beaver, which I have contemplated using as a permanent zine title but can't decide whether it's funny or just dumb. And yesterday, riding the el, I saw a billboard that I wrote down because I didn't get it and found it bizarre. It was a picture of a car, and the caption was "The four crotch crotch rocket." What does that mean? And it seems like some sort of major marketing faux pas to say "crotch" not once, but twice, in an ad.
I saw Le Tigre on Friday, and man it was awesome! They have so much energy, and I screamed my head off the whole time. It is always so excellent to see a band talking about things like butch visibility and how feminists have endured "fifty years of ridicule." I was afraid it would be a bummer, because I know that they were so vociferously anti-Bush, but it seemed like they just used that to their advantage. Kathleen Hanna was really my first feminist hero, so it was great to finally see her perform. If they come near you and you can, you should go! They were great.
I also went to a school rally on Friday, which seemed a little shallow to me. I mean, I guess it is frequently in the nature of rallies to be a little surfacey because you're talking to so many people, and just because of the emotional dynamics and such, but still it just seemed like a lot of making ourselves feel better. And people kept making fun of the republican protesters, which made me feel kind of weird because of what I said in my last post. They were being annoying, true, but it seemed like more of that unbridled animosity that springs up in place of an attempt to talk to each other. Whatever, I'm still not sure how I feel about all that...

2 comments:

a said...

Yeah, Le Tigre was so fucking rad... Are they going anywhere near you? I think they're going to be in San Francisco soon...
And yes, the Crafty Beaver does indeed have a rather cute sign. Also a website, www.craftybeaver.com, where you can actually buy apparel and all sorts of other things.

erica said...

In the category of signs-there was one on a highway in AK that says "Begin Not Parking Here," and 2 miles down the road another: "End No Parking." I liked it.
And speaking of beavers-the 5 girls in my first Denali housing arrangement called our little "condo" house the Beaver Lodge, since we were all avid beaver stalkers... like the ones in the pond nearby.
Completely irrelevent. Uhh...yeah. :)