Thursday, November 04, 2004

fear and loathing in america

We all know what has happened. I feel like I am dreaming, that this has not really happened. I mean, shit. Eleven states outlawing gay marriage, Prop 200 passing, another four years of Bush... I keep remembering being at the Cesar Chavez march about a year and a half ago. The guy who kind of set it all up was giving his opening talk, discussing the size of the anti-war movement and such, and the crowd was getting all hyped up, and all of a sudden he just said "And we failed." I could almost feel the people in the crowd realizing that yes, despite all of the efforts all over the freaking world, the war still happened. This feels a little like that to me, like we've all just been slapped in the face with the fact that, despite all of our best efforts, he STILL got re-elected.
We all know this sucks. I feel like a piece of me has died, a little bit of my faith in the ability to change things. So I've been trying to bolster myself. It is even more important than ever to keep doing the things we have all been doing, and indeed more. Do you all remember when the war started, and it basically seemed to immobilize the ability of activists to talk about anything else? I think it harmed or slowed down a lot of movements,groups, people, because we simply couldn't cope with a war and everything else all at the same time. This could do the same thing. I know it's only been a day or whatever, but I hope that we can all move forward and kick some ass for our futures.
When I'm not crying and feeling shitty, I feel this immense anger that could be profitably directed at something. I was talking to Lauren on IM this morning, and we were talking about how some good things, like public awareness and involvement and organizing skills, were potential side effects of all of this. And when I said that good things could come from all of this, Lauren said, "Like... revolution!" Thank you, Lauren.
I am sitting here listening to Le Tigre, who I am going to see tomorrow (more on this later, I guess). I imagine that it will be a very very pissed-off angry sad group of people. But anyway, here's a few parting words from them.
"I'll just tell you now
Cuz I don't think you know
The things you tried to kill
I found a way to grow
I'll just tell you now
You may have made your mark
But I'm still here today
Knowing who you are
I'll just tell you now
You're not the City of God
You can't strike me down
From your mountaintop..."

No comments: