Friday, January 28, 2005

a warm fuzzy

I've decided that the education styles and weather of the two places I've been to school correspond. In Tucson, the education style is kind of warm and fuzzy, but in Evanston it's much more cold and uncaring. I played in a recital with a student conductor the other night (they asemble orchestras and lead them to qualify for their degrees), and I guess her teacher had been making her feel like absolute shit for the last few days, making her cry and messing with her head. I mean, not that I loved UA's conductor (I didn't), but I don't think he would have done that. I remember school as a much less high-pressure place there, much more willing to let you in and to work with you. Here, everybody's in therapy and drinks too much. I wonder about that.

1 comment:

a said...

Actually, I'm glossing over fact with nostalgia. The conductor at UA was a real dick, and he might well have done something like that. But other than him, for the most part I think that UA was more welcoming and also just more supportive of all students.