Saturday, November 25, 2006

suspense

It's currently 3 am, and I've been reading "Affinity", the only Sarah Waters novel that I hadn't read yet, all day long. It's really good, and I only have 45 pages left (out of 350), but I've decided I just can't cut it tonight. If nothing else, i hear there's a plot twist upcoming, and I don't want to read it and get all hyped up and never sleep again. I do like staying up reading, though; I have very vivid memories of my mom reading me books aloud until the wee hours of the morning when I was in elementary school, and it was a huge bonding thing for us. She once read me the vomit scene from Stephen King's "The Body" (the book version of "Stand By Me") at probably two in the morning, and I don't know if I've ever laughed that hard.
But anyway, other than the fact that i want/don't want to finish right now, I really like this book. I've read her other three books ("Tipping the Velvet", "Fingersmith", and "The Night Watch") and enjoyed them all, but this is probably my favorite so far. It's set on a fairly small scale, primarily just these two women interacting in a prison with a bit of backstory, which I'm discovering I really like. Epics have their place in my heart, but many times a more constricted setting or plot or whatever will really let me enjoy something so much more.
Okay, bed. I'll finish in the morning (er, maybe early afternoon).

No comments: