Tuesday, November 21, 2006

re: read

I'm currently rereading Haruki Murakami's excellent book, "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle". It's incredibly detailed, so much so that when I read it last year I felt very much that I was actually inhabiting this world that he had created. With most books I'm drawn in, but with this one I was living it completely.
It's a little different this time. I'm not quite so overwhelmed, which is fine. That kind of entrenchment can be a bit much. It's interesting how little I remember of this book also; I remember things as they happen, but up until they actually occur I can't imagine what will happen next. I wonder if my memory is just getting worse? I still remember things I read a long time ago in great detail, but I forget a lot of things I've read more recently. And this isn't like Inga Muscio's latest book, which I talked about blocking out because it was a traumatic reading experience; I genuinely liked this book a great deal. I don't know. I get the feeling I'm in for a lifetime of rereads of things I want to remember well.

2 comments:

Lauren Eggert-Crowe said...

ooh! i've been wanting to read that book for two years! (this is how ridiculously backlogged my book list is) Yes, need to read it.

lauren said...

You're so dedicated. I'm sure that I'll still have a long list of books I want to read, the first time, at the end of my life! But I'm also sure that I've forgotten most of those that I've read already.