Wednesday, May 24, 2006

back to the drawing board

I was going to make seitan this morning so I could use it for dinner tonight, but I just realized I don't have anywhere near enough wheat gluten :-( No good. But I made something new last night that ended up being unexpectedly good, so I'm posting the recipe for that instead. It was rather unimaginatively labeled "Lentil Curry" and is apparently a british-style curry. Kind of sweet but delicious.
Lentil Curry
1 1/2 cups lentils (it called for red but I used brown)
salt (approximately 1 tsp)
black pepper to taste
1 bay leaf
1-2 onions
1-2 cloves garlic
vegetable oil
1 sweet apple
1 tbs curry powder
1 tsp or so lemon juice
1 can baked beans (I used 15 oz, it called for 8)
4-inch piece of cucumber

Cook the lentils until soft in water with the salt, pepper, and bay leaf. (Use 4-5 cups of water per cup of beans, so maybe 7 cups total). Drain. Meanwhile, saute the chopped onion, garlic, and apple in some oil. When they are all soft (I recommend perhaps adding the apple a bit later, but I like my onions as soft as possible so I cook them forever), add the curry powder and cook for two more minutes. Combine the lentils, onion/garlic/apple mixture, baked beans, cucumber, and lemon juice and cook until everything is warmed up. Serve over rice or noodles.

No comments: