Monday, October 31, 2005

whew?

Incidentally, I'm really glad that the Miers nomination was withdrawn. Not that I believe that I will miraculously love the next person that Bush nominates (that has "a snowball's chance in hell" of happening, my favorite idiom when I was teaching in Poland), but because this seems like tangible evidence that he has had to acknowledge that he is somewhat reliant on the opinions of others. It seems to me like lately it doesn't matter at all what anybody else thinks, how many people think something is fucked up, as long as Bush think it's okay. And here, for once, he backed off of something. Of course, it's not because people like me think that Miers was someone who shouldn't be on the court; it was because of other political people trashing his choice. But still, at least somebody's opinion still has some sort of staying power, even if it isn't the opinion I agree with.

No comments: