Sunday, April 17, 2005

surf'n'turf

I almost hit a fish on my bicycle yesterday. I don't know how it got into the road, where it came from or anything, but as I was riding home from yoga I thought "Hmmm, that stick looks like a fish" and then realized as I almost ran over it (eeeeeewwwww) that it was indeed a real fish. It was by a "river," by which I mean basically a really big waste water ditch, but I can't imagine fish live in there. Anyway, how would it get out? Unless someone caught it and just left it in the road. Irrepressible, in my mind there is the image of a fish just leaping over the guardrail and landing on the road, but I believe that is just some sort of weird fantasy.
In other news, I have miraculously finished all of my gender reading for the whole week as of tonight. This is nothing short of a miracle. In addition to the Japanese article, there was our first piece of real drag theory, an excellent article about race and why exactly drag kings are so damn hot. I wish I could just copy my whole reader and give it to interested people, there is some great stuff in there. Anyway, I think I'm going to refresh my mind on Judith Butler, in case we get into an argument soon as to whether sex is also performative and not just gender. Or maybe I'll just be lazy for once, either way.

No comments: