Sunday, April 03, 2005

soon the laws of gravity will cease to function

I've been riding my bike a lot lately, due to nice weather (finally!) and I've noticed something kind of strange. I always seem to be riding uphill. I know that this is completely impossible, as you can't ride uphill going both directions on the same streets, but the illusion is quite pervasive. Also, if it's windy, I always seem to be riding into the wind, even if I turn and go another direction. It's almost like Evanston is some sort of mini Twilight Zone.
Aside from that, the weather is gorgeous today. It's sunny and fairly warm but still with a bit of nippiness, and the sky is blue blue blue. People are out in their yards all over the city, undoing the damage of winter. At the entrance to the school, this whole big patch of grass is covered with purple crocuses today. I've never really appreciated spring before, since it doesn't really happen so much in Tucson and in Flagstaff it just means it's going to be incredibly windy for a while. Here, it is such a welcome relief after all the grey and coldness. Yay for spring!

2 comments:

erica said...

ok, even though i haven't spent an entire year in a wintry place in my conscious life, i think DST is completely ridiculous, and i will stand by that. granted, time is subjective and created regardless, but it seems to me that if you're going to change these things seasonally, it should be our schedules-like if it sucks getting up at 7:30 and we as a society can agree on this enough to change the fucking time, why don't we just rearrange the times the stuff we have to do starts? in short, i think it's silly. so there. :P

a said...

I agree with Lauren about always being on daylight time. I don't like daylight savings time, and now it's making me really tired because I have all these classes that start way the hell early in the morning due to it. But I am a fan of warmth and sunlight, so that's something, I guess.