Sunday, May 22, 2005

a few things

I've been pretty busy lately, so I haven't been updating so much. But here's some things that have happened to me lately:
  • Anna will be here on Thursday to do job interviews/help me move/hang out. Yay!!! There's going to be a fetish-themed drag show on Friday, which we will certainly be attending.
  • I picked a topic for my gender final paper! I'm going to discuss several iconic-type men who presented a somewhat unorthodox masculinity (Elvis and John Travolta for sure, and someone else not yet picked) and then examine drag performers of those men and what that entails.
  • Every friend I made here this year (all two of them, when you define friend as "someone I regularly schedule into my life and hang out with in some non-school capacity") is moving away and won't be here next year. :-(
  • The last time I got my period, I counted six weeks ahead and made a prediction of when I thought I would get it again, and I was on to the very day. I don't know if my mind could prevent my body from having it until I wanted it to or something, but I was really amazed by that.
  • I went to an exhibit at the Museum of Science and Industry called "Body Worlds" that was basically a bunch of cadavers treated with plastic and displayed to show off various organ systems and things like that. Somewhat disturbing (some things really grossed me out, like the man holding his own skin), mostly I just felt really bothered by the way things were displayed. There was some weirdness in the different portrayals of men and women, and I just felt odd looking at these sometimes-humorous corpses, like it was voyeuristic and not serving the purpose that perhaps the makers intended. This is the website, if you want to know more: http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/pages/home.asp
  • I picked out my recital program and approximate time for next year! For anyone who cares, this is what I'll be playing: the Eccles Sonata (baroque-ish), the Stravinsky Elegy, Brahms E-flat Sonata, Schumann's Fairytales, and La Campanella by Paganini. Whew, all from memory, that will be a trip. I'm planning on the end of February, as that is basically my month off from Civic orchestra.

Basically, things have been good, just busy and sometimes stressful, which I guess is the nature of school. Many things are kind of ending in the next few days, and then Anna will be here an it'll be a whole different kind of craziness. But good, and I'll make it through this to the summer.

1 comment:

a said...

Yeah, I mean, for the most part it was really hard to convince myself that they were real bodies, they seem so posed that it makes them seem like just plastic models. But some things were certainly a little stomach-turning, like they would have just thin slices of a section of a body lit up. Gross.
And yes, instead of doing a thesis we do recitals. When you get a doctorate, you have to do something called a lecture recital, where you basically write a thesis about a piece and then play it.