Friday, May 06, 2005

the blues

"The door opens and closes again quickly. I hear the lock click. I knock at midnight, miles from my reservation and years from forgiveness. What can I tell you? What treaties can I sign now? I'd hold you to all your promises if I could find just one I know you'd keep. America, I can see you outside my window, just beyond my doorstep, fading past the battered lawn. America, I hear your voice, your song every night before I fall asleep, at the end of another broadcasting day. america, I played Little League baseball. But I should have learned to dance. America, I have memorized the Pledge of Allegiance. But I should have learned to dance. America, I know the capitals of all fifty states. But I should have learned to dance. America, I follow your footprints, glowing in the dark. I followed them through the grass, up walls and across ceilings. But I should have learned to dance."
-Sherman Alexie, Red Blues

No comments: