Thursday, January 29, 2004

Today I feel crazy, like driving-somewhere-far-far-away-for-no-reason crazy, or maybe just spend-the-night-contemplating-life crazy. Maybe that seems contradictory, but I guess that's what makes it crazy, right? I feel confined by life, but at the same time ridiculously happy about where and who I am and everything that's been happening lately. I am a walking contradiction today, aren't I?

This brownie recipe is frankly amazing. It is super easy, too. I'm making these for my next quartet rehearsal at my house, yummm...

Vegan Brownies

You need:
2 1/3 cups flour
1 cup water
1/2 cup vegan margarine
2/3 cups cocoa powder
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Mix 1/3 cup flour with the water in a saucepan; stir constantly on medium heat until it's thicker and boiling or almost boiling. Let it cool. Melt the margarine and stir in the cocoa powder. Beat the sugar, salt, and vanilla in with the flour/water mixture, then add the cocoa mixture too and stir well. Mix the flour and baking powder and mix it all together. Bake in a 9" by 13" pan at 350 for 20-25 minutes. I think I usually grease the pan on general principles, but to each her or his own. You can add things like cherries, raisins, or crushed-up candy canes (I've never tried, but the recipe says that it's good), but even alone they are awesome. I usually sprinkle powdered sugar on top while they're still hot. Seriously, these are wonderful. I can't wait to try them again...

No comments: