Friday, January 23, 2004

Due to a lack of anything interesting that I'm willing to talk about on the internet, here's another recipe. The wine makes an amazing amount of difference.

Tomato-Garlic Soup
You need:
Tomato broth (I used this to use up half a box, but you can make more)
2-3 cloves garlic (or more, if you’re a garlic fiend like erica)
some red wine
basil
cayenne pepper
some olive oil

Put the tomato broth in a pot. Press or finely chop the garlic. Sauté the garlic in the olive oil for a minute or two, then add some cayenne pepper and basil. Dump this mixture into the tomato broth after a few minutes. Pour in some wine, not a whole lot but maybe ¼ to ½ a cup. Turn the heat on; I brought mine to a slight boil, but I think just heating up is okay. I don’t know at what point the alcohol leaves, which is why I brought it to a slight boil. I didn’t feel tipsy, so I guess it worked or there wasn’t enough wine to bother me. I suggest serving it with brown toast. It can be quite spicy if you put in lots of garlic and cayenne, so watch out! You can also add potatoes or other vegetables, just cook til soft.

No comments: