Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Ahhh, it's late at night (er, early morning) and I am not sleepy at all but am meeting a friend for an early breakfast tomorrow. This seems to be always the case with me; I am sleepy when I need to be alert and alert when I sincerely wish to be sleepy. At any rate, another recipe for your enjoyment. I hear Bianca made the curry stuff recently and liked it, so that validates the whole "blog experience" for me. Yay Bianca! This is one of Meredith and Erica's favorites, and it's super simple.

Aubergine and Chick Pea Ragout
You need:
1 eggplant
1/2 cup olive oil (or more, if you need it; i usually just dump a bunch in)
2 cans of garbanzo beans
2 cans (12-14 oz) or 1 can (28 oz) of crushed tomatoes
some dried mint to taste (at least 1 tsp)
as required salt (sea or other) and ground pepper
1 onion, if you so desire

Cube the eggplant and coarsely chop the onion. Sautee in the olive oil until
everything is soft and you can easily poke a fork through the pieces of
eggplant. Add everything else and cook over low heat for half an hour. Serve
hot or at room temp (it's a Greek dish, and traditionally served at room temp)
with rice, couscous, pasta, or crusty good bread.
Note: I usually make this without onions, but it doesn't seem to make much
difference in the taste one way or the other.


No comments: