Thursday, January 08, 2004

So, I've been cooking a lot over break. I'm vegan, so cooking is really really important, because otherwise all I ever end up eating is salads. Anyway, I've started typing up my recipes (both ones I've made up and particularly good ones from cookbooks), and am going to post them here every once in a while for anyone who cares. Here goes with the first recipe, which I just made up tonight (hence the lack of name).


Curry-like stuff
You need:
1 can peas
1 can garbanzo beans
some spinach, (maybe around a cup crushed), preferably crushed in a mortar and pestle or ground up in a food processor or blender
1 cup dried lentils
spices (curry powder, ground cumin, turmeric, ground coriander, ground ginger, cayenne pepper and sea salt)

Cook the lentils until soft (use 3 cups of water and a little salt, bring to a boil and then simmer about 30 minutes, or just to taste).
Put the cooked lentils, can of peas, can of garbanzo beans, and crushed spinach in a large pot. Stir well.
Put two cups of this mixture in a blender with 1 cup of water. Blend well. Return this mixture to the pot and stir well.
Add spices to taste. I suggest being careful not to overspice, especially with the turmeric, cumin, ginger and cayenne pepper. I actually only added a dash of the last two. Be careful, stir and taste before adding more of anything. Stir well.
Heat everything up over medium heat for 10 minutes or so, however long feels good to you.
I suggest serving over couscous (made with lots of butter or butter substitute) and mixing in some vegan sour cream (or real sour cream, if that’s the way you go). It would probably also be good with that garlic-spiced yogurt stuff, but I didn’t have any plain soy yogurt and so didn’t try it.

No comments: