Monday, February 23, 2009

technicolor

I'm still a little under the weather, but after sleeping somewhere between seven and eight hours last night I feel a hell of a lot better than I did. Today I've been doing getting-better activities: drinking oj with emergen-c in it, eating cloves of raw garlic (two of them! stinky breath, here I come), and I'm about to drink a cup of Breathe Easy tea with honey. On the way to the store, stopped at a dirty busy city intersection, I paused to watch a giant flock of pigeons wheel around in the sky and wondered if my possibly sickness-influenced brain made that seem more awesome than it really was. (My eventual decision: no. Flocks of birds are fascinating all the time.)
But my point (and I do have one) is that I think sometimes when we're sick or otherwise at an extremity of physicalness we experience things differently. Everybody must have had at least some version of that slightly surreal feeling I get when I'm really sick, that sense that the world is just not the way I normally conceive of it. Today I'm barely sick if at all, but the world seems somewhat more vibrant and interesting than I'm used to. The pigeons stopped me. Sunlight makes me feel like a plant, turning my face and penetrating me to the core. Trader Joe's seemed like a flavor paradise. These are all things I usually feel in a muted way: oh, how interesting! Honey sesame almonds, city birds, warmth! But today those things are turned up to a higher volume. I should be practicing, but instead I'm going to sit here and enjoy it.

2 comments:

Alicia Larsen Dabney said...

"...the sense that the world is just not the way I normally conceive of it."

You put this far better than I ever could have. I do know exactly what you mean. I had some health troubles around 2004-2006, give or take, and I could go for weeks at a time feeling exactly the way you have described here.

cassalyn said...

oooooo i like.