Thursday, June 23, 2005

livin' the dream

It's my last full day in Flagstaff. I've actually been having a somewhat easier time here than normal, not too much parental strife or anything going on. I've been spending a lot of time with the two people who I still know who live here, Emily and Jared, and I've just finally been taking some time to relax. I went on two hikes this week, the first by myself on a trail called "Fatman's Loop" and the second with Emily on a trail off of Schult's Pass Road. The first was nice because I've never actually been hiking by myself before; it's a much quieter experience, and I can freak out when big bugs land on me without anybody laughing at me. The second was just such a nice trail, leading up through trees to a big meadow and then suddenly ending in a very nice rocky promontory that looked out over the east side of town. Now, of course because I'm such a wimp, my legs are sore, but I truly enjoyed both days.
Tomorrow I'm driving to Tucson, and Anna and I are leaving on Sunday for San Diego. We'll stay there all of Monday and then take off for Santa Cruz Tuesday morning to stay with Jesse for a few days. We're driving him and his friend to San Francisco on the 2nd and camping there for a few days. A good friend of mine from high school gets back on the 3rd, so I think we're doing something on the 4th with her and then leaving the next day. We're taking two days to drive to Portland, camping and maybe hiking somewhere in the middle, and that's where our plans get a little muddy. A little while in Portland, a little while in Seattle (maybe staying with my ex-roommate Meredith if she ever writes me back), a little while in Vancouver and then somehow heading for Alaska. It's looking more and more like we're driving there, staying a few days, and then driving back partway and taking a ferry back to Vancouver. At least that's kind of the plan, we'll see what actually ends up happening.
I'm excited but as always a little apprehensive. I get so worried about money and time and all the little things that can go wrong. I hope I can use this trip to help myself become better at forgetting all those things, or at least not letting them ruin my enjoyment in this experience.

No comments: