As is par for the course, my life seems to be running itself in circles. It always seems that many endings synch up with each other (beginnings also) but I can't ever quite discern an actual pattern. Anyway... Here's a end-of-year quiz that Erica and I both filled out last year (The title is "Ah, Nostalgia"). Goodbye 2006! (Yes, WTF indeed.)
1. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before?
Rode my bike at 6:45 in the morning (I've probably done that before, actually, but never just for the hell of it), got a graduate degree, saw my parents in Chicago, had actual conversations with my sister... Probably lots of other things.
2. Did you keep your new year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I generally don't do resolutions... Or I do them in the spring, when I actually feel full of life again. This year, my resolution would probably be not to stress out and act like a maniac all the time.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I don't think so...
4. Did anyone close to you die?
not that I know of
5. What countries did you visit?
Wow, none. That hasn't happened in a while.
6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
A sense of self-worth and self-understanding, a "real" job at some point
7. What date from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Ummmmmm... October 30. And it's personal.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
My ability to recover from blows. And actually talking to my little sister.
9. What was your biggest failure?
My inability to break through my apathy
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
i had a terrible cough for most of the winter, but other than that not so much
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Fuck if I know. Cheese?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
All of my friends who came out of the woodwork when i needed somebody.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
politicians, certain people in my life, myself at times
14. Where did most of your money go?
food, rent... Not toooooo much else really
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
finishing my graduate recital, spring, warmth
16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah, the Dresden Dolls (both albums)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: happier or sadder? Happier, I have to say
thinner or fatter? maybe a little thinner unfortunately, but probably about the same.
richer or poorer: not sure. momentarily richer perhaps but we'll see how long that lasts
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
practicing. talking to people. yoga. cooking.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
going out and drinking too much.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
in flag with the family.
21. How will you be spending New Years?
a potluck and then either a fondue party or something else as of yet undecided
22. Did you fall in love in 2006?
it's a constant flux
23. How many one-night stands?
not ready to tackle that one
24. What was your favourite TV program?
i have to admit i did occasionally watch Project Runway, and the L Word of course, but that's about it. So they're favorites by default, i guess.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
there aren't many people I hate, so no.
26. What was the best book you read?
Wow, ummmm... Li-Young Lee's "Rose", Margaret Atwood's "The Blind Assassin", a lot of others that I can't remember. Lots.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Dresden Dolls, Tegan and Sara
28. What did you want and get?
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
I liked Shortbus a lot
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
played a gig in Waukegan and had dinner and drinks with friends. 25.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
i would have liked to enjoy my freedom from school a lot more than i did
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
about the same as always, with perhaps occasionally more tie-wearing and a recent influx of thrift clothes
34. What kept you sane?
the internet. music. people. text messages. alcohol. ice cream.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
did i fancy? what a weirdly-worded question. i don't know.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
what a question...
37. Who did you miss?
all my friends from other places.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Wow... Tabitha, Beck, Louise, Sarah, Carolyn, I'm probably forgetting some people
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006
I can get through anything if I need to. Sometimes people don't tell the truth.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"hate to break it to you but its out of my control
forces go to work while we are sleeping
if i could attack with a more sensible approach
obviously thats what i'd be doing"
-Dresden Dolls "Gravity"
"Well baby I've been here before
I’ve seen this room and I've walked this floor
(You Know)I used to live alone before I knew you
And I've seen your flag on the marble arch
And Love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah"
-Jeff Buckley, "Hallelujah"